WATER RATS PARENTS’ CLUB, INC.
Minutes for the Meeting of May 6, 2021
Charles Shapiro (Co-President)
Berkeley Murray (Co-President)
Kim Ripka (Co-Treasurer)
Martha Corneck (Co-Treasurer)
Amy Leahy (Safe Sport/ Fundraising)
Adrienne Williams (USA Swimming Manager)
Candace Twiss (PET-WRAT Volunteer Coordinator)
Aimee White-Charles (Meet Manager)
Mark McDermott (Co-Official)
Jackie Austin (Co- Official)
Allison Arnett (8U Parent Representative)
Melanie Ruggieri (AG Representative)
Showky Kaldaway (AG Representative)
Shantha Ozgen (Senior Parent Rep)
Ellen Johnston (Coach)
Andy McNabb also attended the meeting.
A quorum was achieved, and the meeting was called to order at 7:03 p.m. by Berkley M..
Shantha O. motioned to approve the minutes of April 8, 2021. Charles S.. seconded the motion. All voted in favor.
RESOLVED that the minutes from the April 8, 2021 meeting, as presented to the Committee are approved.
- Coaches Report/ Update (Ellen J.):
- New CEO has been appointed: Anjali McCormick. Comes from the Summit NJ area YMCA.
- Board Liaison: Andy McNabb; Former WRAT Parent. Member of the Y Bd of Directors. Will liaise between WRAT and the Y Board as necessary.
- Meet Schedule: CT Swimming still navigating.
- Anticipated: May 21-23: RTC meet with Cheshire.
- Anticipated: Late June meet with Wilton Y.
- Still trying to figure out more opportunities for 8U and 10U.
- CT Seniors, Regionals and Age Group Championships will all occur.
- Thursday May 13: College recruiting seminar. New protocols and guidelines.
- Liz Blau has been hired for 8U program and other practice groups on deck. She comes from Darien Y.
- June 13: Recognition Night outdoors at logs (Mahackeno). Would like to investigate sound system. Aimee W-C. will look into it. Ellen J. thinks we can go without MC since event more low key.
- Safe Sport (Amy L.):
- Parent volunteers are required to complete Safe Sport training. Ellen J. will circulate a memo to inform parents.
- “Meet Safety Coordinator” is being retitled “Safe Sport Coordinator”. Will require change to By-Laws.
- Co-President Report (Charles S.):
- Board of Directors Slate:
- Athlete Rep positions are still open
- Notice needs to be sent for Thursday, June 10 meeting.
- 7pm via Zoom
- Motion to move annual meeting to June 10 was made by Aimee W-C. Motion was seconded. RESOLVED that the annual meeting will be moved to June 10 @ 7pm.
- Board of Directors Slate:
- Fundraising (Amy L.):
- Consider bringing back food trucks weekend of May 22-23 when 12U at the Y for Cheshire meet.
- USA Swimming Escrow Account Manager Report (Adrienne W.):
- 172 Families/ 224 Swimmers. There were a few additions to the team. Escrow is sufficient.
- Will need to let parents know that meet fees will be returning.
- Treasurers Report (Kim R.):
- Not much activity. 1 Official expense. Couple of new swimmers. Made deposit for banquet.
- PET-WRAT Report (Candace T.) Nothing to report (no meets since last meeting).
- Meet Manager Report (Aimee W.-C.): Nothing to report.
- Officials Report (Jackie A.):
- Stroke and turn clinics have been hosted. Another clinic forthcoming. 2 parents expressed interest in becoming officials. Should be able to resume shadowing/ training soon (when meets resume)
- Officials have bene contacted re May 21-23 meet.
- Parent Rep & Student Athlete Report:
- 8U (Allison A.): Have had some discussions re parent coffee because of new, younger swimmers.
- AG (Melanie R.;Showky K.): Suggested some sort of fun races to get kids excited.
- Senior (Shantha O.): Nothing to report
Mark M. moved to adjourn the meeting. Melanie R. seconded the motion. All voted in favor.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:56 pm.
Monika DeFelice, Secretary
Water Rats Parents’ Club