Parents Club Information
The Water Rats Parents’ Club was established in 1980 to support the activities of the Westport Weston Family YMCA Water Rat Swim Team. It was incorporated in 1990 as a Connecticut non-stock corporation and is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization, according to the Internal Revenue Service. Copies of the Club’s 990 tax filings, and certain other information related to the Club’s nonprofit status, are available to Club members, and the public, upon written request to one of the Club’s co-presidents.
The stated purpose of the Water Rats Parents’ Club shall be to support the Westport Weston Family YMCA Water Rat Swim Team under the rules of YMCA and USA Swimming as follows:
- To promote competitive swimming by affording the swimmers the opportunity to learn and develop their skills and by instilling good sportsmanship and team loyalty in the spirit of the core values of the YMCA.
- To assist the coaches and the YMCA staff in the administrative and clerical duties associated with a competitive swimming program
- To organize and conduct social functions for the participants of the program
- To raise funds to be used for the benefit of the program and its participants
- To maintain a balance in the program which equally serves all levels of swimmers and places as the first priority the total development of the individual.
The Parents Club supports the team through its annual budget, meet sponsorships, fundraisers and social events. As a parent of a swimmer on the Westport Weston Family YMCA Water Rat Swim Team, you are automatically a member of the Parents Club. Your volunteer efforts will be needed in many ways throughout the short and long course seasons. There are many opportunities to get involved from being on the Parents Club Board of Directors, to timing at meets, managing meets, making donations to meet food concessions, meet related computer work, becoming a YMCA and/or USA swimming meet official, assisting in the production of the team newsletter, assisting with the development and maintenance of the team web site, hosting social events for parents and swimmers, chaperoning team events, etc.
For additional information, please contact the Westport Weston Family YMCA Water Rat Swim Team Parents Club co-presidents. You can contact them through the swim team office at 203-226-8981 or email them at their personal email addresses, which are listed on the Board of Directors contact page. You also may write to them at:
Water Rats Parents Club
P.O. Box 625
Westport, CT 06881