WATER RATS PARENTS’ CLUB, INC.
Minutes for the Meeting of June 3, 2021
Charles Shapiro (Co-President)
Berkeley Murray (Co-President)
Amy Leahy (Safe Sport/ Fundraising)
Aimee White-Charles (Meet Manager)
Adrienne Williams (USA Swimming Manager)
Candace Twiss (PET-WRAT Coordinator)
Mark McDermott (Co-Official)
Allison Arnett (8U Parent Rep)
Melanie Ruggieri (AG Parent Rep)
Emmett Adams (Athlete Rep)
Rachel Kushel (Senior Parent Rep)
Shantha Ozgen (Senior Parent Rep)
Ellen Johnston (Coach)
Jess Slippen & Mary Lake also attended.
A quorum was achieved, and the meeting was called to order at 7:01 p.m. by Berkley M.
Shantha O. motioned to approve the minutes of May 6, 2021. Monika D. seconded the motion. All voted in favor.
RESOLVED that the minutes from the May 6, 2021 meeting, as presented to the Committee are approved.
- Recognition Banquet (Jess S. & Mary L.):
- With coaches, 334 guests.
- Taco Loco food truck.
- 2-4pm for eating.
- 4pm transition to logs for banquet presentation.
- Discussion re: coordination issues incl: budget, sound, identifying team families, clean up, break down and traffic management.
- Discussion re: presentation and who will be speaking.
- Weather contingency: Can cancel up to Wednesday 6/9 (will 2x check the date). Food Truck will reschedule (but rescheduling will be difficult).
- Mask policy to be confirmed with Y.
- With coaches, 334 guests.
- Annual Meeting (Ellen J. & Charles S.):
- June 10
- Zoom link to be forthcoming.
- Agenda for meeting:
- Confirm quorum
- Election of Slate
- Vote on By-Laws Amendment (Safe Sport Amendment)
- Ellen J. to give State of the Team report.
- June 10
- Coaches Report/ Update (Ellen J.):
- Planning for 2021/22 year underway. There is still a lot of uncertainty.
- Long Course Meets:
- Wilton Invitational: June 24-27
- Considering in-house meet
- Championship Meets for all ages/ levels in July.
- Co-President Report (Berkley M.): Covered by above.
- Safe Sport (Amy L.):
- No grievances to report
- Email should be sent to remind Parents and Senior swimmers to certify SafeSport
- Fundraising (Amy L.):
- Still considering pizza delivery night fundraiser.
- Also consider “Water is My Sky” outdoor movie night. Question whether fundraiser or social.
- USA Swimming Escrow Account Manager Report (Adrienne W.):
- 172 Families/ 221 Swimmers. $8500 in escrow, but that will go down when we pay CDOG meet fees. Email sent today re: assessing meet fees. There are overdrawn escrows due to meet fees.
- Treasurers Report (Martha C.):
- “No activity for the month of May except some deposits or down payments for the banquet. Current net income is approximately $11k and we should end the year with projected net income of $6k. We are currently working on the present budget but of course we are now sure what 2021/2022 will look like as compared to the last several years.”
- Discussion re upcoming expenses: upgrading tech, Colorado timing system, replace adhesives on blocks, backstroke ledge etc.
- PET-WRAT Report (Candace T.): Prior to last meet 51 families hadn’t worked; after last meet 46 families haven’t worked.
- Meet Manager Report (Aimee W-C.):
- Last meet went well.
- Fine tune volunteers – perhaps ask for volunteers earlier. Candace T. clarified, biggest issue is Senior swimmer parents esp as swimmers get older (this is probably not a solvable issue).
- Staffing for Sunday sessions. If we know Y staff will not be there for a meet session, we should add as a volunteer position. (Ellen J. believes as Y expands hours this should be less of an issue).
- Zoom for meets as long as no spectators. We need to refine to make this a better experience for all. Consider assigning to people we know are good at it.
- Officials Report (Mark M.):
- Good attendance of officials at Westport Y sessions.
- We did miss opportunity for stroke & turn trainees to get in a few more sessions.
- We still need more officials.
- Parent Rep & Student Athlete Report:
- 8U (Allison A.): Questions re: meets/ beginning of summer schedule. Summer swimming begins after Wilton meet.
- AG (Melanie R.;Showky K.): Questions re: summer schedules (Ellen J: Schedules are coming out tomorrow)
- Senior (Shantha O.): Discussing senior social event now that most seniors vaccinated.
- Student Rep (Emmet A.): Swimmers have suggested a swimmers union.
A motion was made and seconded to adjourn the meeting. All voted in favor.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:33 pm.
Monika DeFelice, Secretary
Water Rats Parents’ Club