April 2021


Minutes for the Meeting of April 8, 2021

Board Members:

Charles Shapiro (Co-President)
Berkeley Murray (Co-President)
Amy Leahy (Safe Sport/ Fundraising)
Candace Twiss (PET-WRAT Volunteer Coordinator)
Shantha Ozgen (Senior Parent Rep)
Martha Corneck (Co-Treasurer)
Adrienne Williams (USA Swimming Manager)
Jackie Austin (Co- Official)
Shantha Ozgen (Senior Parent Rep)
Rachel Kushel (Senior Parent Rep)
Melanie Ruggieri (AG Representative)
Allison Arnett (8U Parent Representative)
Emmett Adams (Athlete Representative)
Ellen Johnston (Coach)
Rob Urban (Coach)
Adam King (Coach)

A quorum was achieved, and the meeting was called to order at 7:02 p.m. by Berkley M.


Melanie R. motioned to approve the minutes of March 4, 2021. Charles S.. seconded the motion. All voted in favor. 

RESOLVED that the minutes from the March 4, 2021 meeting, as presented to the Committee are approved.

  • Nominating Committee (Candace T):   
    • 2020-21 Parent Board Slate:  Adrienne W. will circulate email with proposed board, opportunity to comment/ submit alternatives and with sufficient notice in compliance with By Laws.
    • Annual Meeting Date:  Needs to be set at a sufficient number of days after slate submitted to the members.
    • Candace T. made a motion to set the Annual Meeting for June 30, 2021. Allison A.  seconded the motion.  Annual Meeting Date was set for June 30, 2021.
  • Coaches Report/ Update (Ellen J.):
    • 2 Dual meets since last Board Meeting (Cheshire & Greenwich):  Thrilled with how all swimmers performed for all teams.  Times from the Greenwich meet can be used for Virtual Y Nats submission.
      • Ct Swimming:  Working on meet schedule for long course; figuring out which facilities can host.
      • Observation Deck:  Working on access.  State still requires masks and 6’ distancing.
      • Team is on break until April 19.  Emails have gone out.  Y staff member has tested positive.  Some coaches in quarantine.  Swimmers deserved a break. 
      • CEO Update:  Nothing significant to report.
      • 8U Coach:  Bringing on new coach:  Liz Blau (sp?) will be joining.  Formerly with Darien Y.
  • Co-President Report (Charles S.):
    • Team Expenditure:  Considering using money raised by fundraising, to purchase headsets so coaches can communicate with swimmers.  Due to COVID, consider deferring purchase to later in the year.
    • Banquet: Still considering Mahackeno and food trucks.  Consider having last seniors return.  Last years seniors due back end of May, so considering banquet in early June.
  • USA Swimming Escrow Account Manager Report (Adrienne W.):
    • Not much to report.  166 Families/ 210 Swimmers. Escrow is about the same.  There will be movement in rosters as swimmers age up particularly in 8U.
    • There is very high demand for new swimmers to join.  Lanes are full.  We have lost very few swimmers.
  • Fundraising (Amy L.): 
    • Team Movie Night:  Deciding whether it should be fundraising event vs. AG social.  Will need to schedule around banquet and swim meets.
  • Safe Sport (Amy L.)
    • Discussed amending By-Laws to change “Safety Coordinator” to “Safe Sport Coordinator” to reflect US Swimming requirements.   This is a committee position, but specifically covered in By Laws.  Consider whether this is housekeeping or a new By Law. 
      • Amy L. will provide the new language. 
      • The change can be covered at the Annual Meeting.
    • To get parents safe sport certified, consider requiring volunteers to be safe Sport Certified.  Ellen will communicate after Spring Break.
    • Officials training will suffice for Safe Sport.
  • Treasurers Report  (Martha C.):
    • Martha C.:  “The club is financially healthy and there was not any material activity to report for the past month.  As noted if the Club does decide to make an expenditure for the Swim Team, there is $3,100 current net fundraising proceeds.  There is currently net income of approximately $13,100 but projected fiscal year end net income of approximately $7,000- 8,000 after some expenditures.  Kimberly Massa noted that her Financial Representative contact [ed: Merrill Lynch] stated that his firm’s minimums are increasing and the club was not intending to invest enough to reach the minimums.  He also advised that as the Board is in a fiduciary capacity, we should consider all options before proceeding with making any investment decisions.  Charles Shapiro noted this and said we should reach out to the overall Club to see if anyone had any other contacts or investment ideas.”
  • PET-WRAT Report (Candace T.)  61 families last month hadn’t worked; After the 2 meets this month, we are currently at 51 families who haven’t worked. Candace T. did provide priority opportunity to sign up to families who had not worked.
  • Officials Report (Jackie A.):  2 individuals who have offered to become officials. 
    • Amy Leahy is training to become an administrative official (AO); Adrienne will assist in training.
    • Dina Carlson has offered to train as a stroke and turn official.
  • Parent Rep & Student Athlete Report:
    • 8U (Melanie R.):  Parents unhappy with sudden cancellation of practice.  (Ellen J.: No choice under circumstances.  Normally we take a break anyway during these weeks)
    • AG (Allison A):  Nothing to report.
    • Sr (Shantha O. and Rachel K.):  Nothing to report
    • Athlete Rep (Emmet A.):  Swimmers seem happy with the way things are going and are happy to take a break.

Rachel K. moved to adjourn the meeting. Jackie A. seconded the motion.  All voted in favor.

Meeting was adjourned at 7:58 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Monika DeFelice, Secretary
Water Rats Parents’ Club