WATER RATS PARENTS’ CLUB, INC.
Minutes for the Meeting of January 7, 2021
Charles Shapiro (Co-President)
Berkeley Murray (Co-President)
Martha Corneck (Treasurer)
Aimee White-Charles (Meet Coordinator)
Candace Twiss (PET-WRAT Volunteer Coordinator)
Amy Leahy (Safety/ Concessions Coordinator)
Rachel Kushel (Senior Parent Representative)
Melanie Ruggieri (AG Representative)
Showky Kaldaway (AG Parent Representative)
Allison Arnett (8U Parent Representative)
Adrienne Williams (USA Swimming Manager)
Emmett Adams (Student Athlete Rep)
Sarah Corneck (Student Athlete rep)
Ellen Johnston (Coach)
A quorum was achieved, and the meeting was called to order at 7:05 p.m. by Berkley M.
Charles S. motioned to approve the minutes of December 3, 2020. Motion was seconded. All voted in favor.
RESOLVED that the minutes from the December 3, 2020 meeting, as presented to the Committee are approved.
- Agenda Items:
- Update from Ellen J. with Q&A:
- COVID Updates: CT Swimming has had meetings with state to reopen swim teams. Report has been presented as to bring back competitive swimming. Ultimately the governor’s choice. Cautiously optimistic that on 1/19 we will see some movement.
- Parent Zoom: Nothing to report because in holding pattern.
- Adrienne and Ellen have been using downtime to work on updating the team handbook. Going to redistribute later this Spring (March/ April).
- 4 person group practices (approximately 67 group/ dryland sessions are being run per week).
- LiveBarn: Still in holding pattern so nothing to report.
- MotionVibe: Aware of continuing frustration re signups.
- Update from Ellen J. with Q&A:
- Co-President Report (Berkley M.):
- Survey: Waiting to proceed until the swim season resumes in a more regular fashion.
- Coaches Report (Ellen J.): See above.
- USA Swimming Escrow Account Manager Report (Adrienne W.):
- Not much to report. Currently 214 swimmers; 170 Families. Escrow account has sufficient funds.
- Fundraising (Amy L.): Nothing to report.
- Treasurers Report (Martha C.): Financial report circulated to Board in advance of meeting. Net income is slightly lower due to lack of meets. Income for this fiscal year is primarily from fundraisers and dues. Expenses incurred over the past month were for coaches holiday gifts, credit card receipts, officials registration etc. Overall, financially, the team is in good shape and will cover all fixed costs in the operating budget for the fiscal year.
- PET–WRAT Report (Candace T.): Nothing to report.
- Nominating Committee (Ellen J.): Ellen will help work through governance, but encouraging current board members stay on for another year – because of strange year, board members (especially those with 1 year terms) have not been able to fully explore their roles. Conversation to be continued.
- Meet Manager Report (Aimee W.): Nothing to report.
- Officials Report: Nothing to report.
- Parents Reps & Student Athlete Reports:
- Seniors (Rachel K): Secret Santa will be revisited next year. Nothing to report re. Senior events – waiting until we can do in-person events.
- AG (Melanie R., Showky K.); 8U (Alison A.): Nothing to report from parents. Discussion re ways to keep younger kids engaged, platform for kids to share workouts (ie Padlet, FlipGrid) etc..
- Athlete Reps (Sarah C.; Emmet A.):
- No need for Zoom checkins, if there is something to report athletes are willing to participate.
- Thank you to coaches; work is appreciated by all swimmers.
Charles S. moved to adjourn the meeting ; motion was seconded. All voted in favor.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:48 pm.
Monika DeFelice, Secretary
Water Rats Parents’ Club