February 2021


Minutes for the Meeting of February 4, 2021

Board Members:

Charles Shapiro (Co-President)
Berkeley Murray (Co-President)
Kim Ripka (Co-Treasurer)
Amy Leahy (Safety/ Concessions Coordinator)
Adrienne Williams (USA Swimming Manager)
Candace Twiss (PET-WRAT Volunteer Coordinator)
Aimee White-Charles (Meet Coordinator)
Mark McDermott (Co- Official)
Jackie Austin (Co- Official)
Shantha Ozgen (Senior Parent Rep)
Melanie Ruggieri (AG Representative)
Showky Kaldaway  (AG Parent Representative)
Allison Arnett (8U Parent Representative)
Emmett Adams (Student Athlete Rep)
Ellen Johnston (Coach)

A quorum was achieved, and the meeting was called to order at 7:02 p.m. by Charles S..


Allison A. motioned to approve the minutes of January 7, 2021. Shantha O. seconded the motion. All voted in favor. 

RESOLVED that the minutes from the January 7, 2021 meeting, as presented to the Committee are approved.

  • Agenda Items:
    • Update from Ellen J. with Q&A:
      • Cohorts of 4: Attendance is good.  Working on dryland.  Water time is priority.
      • Opened Saturday practices for observation last week.  None of the sessions were fully subscribed.  There are now requests that observation deck be open for all practices.  Has been elevated to Y.  It’s been cast as a Y membership issue not a swim team issue (ie. sign up through MotionVibe not TeamUnify).
      • Update re presentation to CDC re:  CT pools being open for swimming.  No forward movement re. opening up swimming more at this time.
      • Planning swim meet and will apply to CSI for weekend of February 26-28.  Certain adaptions need to be made because of cohorts.
      • Will circle back with Aimee W. re LiveBarn (see below).
      • Y is undergoing search for new CEO.  Information was made public yesterday.  Search could take a couple of months.
      • SafeSport:  Need to move forward with SafeSport certification.  This is being worked on (see below).
      • Team Handbook/ Parent Code of Conduct:  Being updated.  Will circulate to board when complete.  Showky K. suggested team “contract” to clarify expectations.
  • Co-President Report (Berkley M.):
    • Collection for Bridgeport Rescue Mission:  Event TBD, will probably happen in March.  Try for off-meet weekend for greater participation.
    • Gathering ideas for “Banquet”:  Would like to brainstorm next meeting. Considering outdoor event (drive-in movie; food trucks; fire pit at beach, etc.)
  • Coaches Report (Ellen J.): See above.
  • USA Swimming Escrow Account Manager Report (Adrienne W.):
    • Currently 212 swimmers; 169 Families.  Will lose one more family/swimmer on 2/13 (moving).  Escrow account has sufficient funds.
  • Fundraising:
    • Super Bowl Pool: (Berkley M.)  Have sold 80/100 boxes.  30 families have bought boxes.  Will do a final push to try to complete squares.
    • Cash Back to Team: (Amy L.)  Thinking of cash-back to team night – consider approaching  several different pizza places.  Considering on/around February meet.
    • Apparel Sale (Amy L.):  Considering a small apparel sale.
    • SafeSport (Amy L.):  This is essentially a checklist (point based system).  Will go through document to see how many points the team has. Will need a SafeSport coordinator (reimbursable).
  • Treasurers Report  (Kim R.): Nothing much to report.  Not much activity in past month.  On budget.  No meet income.
  • PET–WRAT Report (Candace T.):  Nothing to report.  No meets; no points.
    • Nominating Committee:
      • Soon:  Send email – solicit interest for volunteers for Board.
      • Next month, nominating committee with follow up with email with recommended slate.
  • Meet Manager Report (Aimee W.):
    • Live Barn: Nothing to report.  Left off with a contract that needs to be circulated to Y.   Will work with Ellen J. to see how to move forward.
  • Officials Report (Mark M.):  
    • Will need at least 4 officials for in-house meet in February.
  • Parents Reps & Student Athlete Reports:
    • Seniors (Shantha O.):  Nothing to report.
    • AG (Melanie R., Showky K.):  Nothing to report.
    • 8U (Alison A.):  Nothing to report.
    • Athlete Reps (Emmet A.): 
      • Practices going smoothly; like the hybrid swimming/ dryland.  Will give Ellen J. dates on HS championship meets (boys).  

Mark M.. moved to adjourn the meeting ; Charles S. seconded the motion.  All voted in favor. 

Meeting was adjourned at 7:54 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Monika DeFelice, Secretary
Water Rats Parents’ Club