WATER RATS PARENTS’ CLUB, INC.
Minutes for the Meeting of December 3, 2020
Charles Shapiro (Co-President)
Berkeley Murray (Co-President)
Martha Corneck (Treasurer)
Adrienne Williams (USA Swimming Manager)
Candace Twiss (PET-WRAT Volunteer Coordinator)
Amy Leahy (Safety/ Concessions Coordinator)
Aimee White-Charles (Meet Coordinator)
Mark McDermott (Co-Official)
Jackie Austin (Co-Official)
Showky Kaldaway (AG Parent Representative)
Shanta Ozgen (Senior Parent Representative)
Rachel Kushel (Senior Parent Representative)
Melanie Ruggieri (Age Group Representative)
Allison Arnett (8U Parent Representative)
Ellen Johnston (Coach)
Adam King (Coach)
Rob Urban (Coach)
A quorum was achieved, and the meeting was called to order at 7:03 p.m. by Berkley M.
Monika D. motioned to approve the minutes of November 5, 2020. Melanie R seconded. All voted in favor.
RESOLVED that the minutes from the November 5, 2020 meeting, as presented to the Committee are approved.
- Agenda Items:
- Update from Ellen J. with Q&A:
- COVID Updates: Update re. conversations with state. Still a fluid situation. Preparing schedule to find time for every swimmer in the water. Swimmers can also independently reserve lane time through the Y; Ellen is Y is working with Y to allow 8U swimmers to reserve time. Ellen working on presentation to the State. Hoping that swimming will be able to resume after the New Year in some fashion.
- Charles S. & Berkley M. recommended scheduling a parent Zoom-meeting, even if by group.
- Update from Ellen J. with Q&A:
- Co-President Report (Berkley M.):
- Nominating Committee: Charles S: By February, committee is supposed to circulate names. After New Year, begin to reach out to team members to ask for parents who are interested in volunteering, with a list of positions that will be open. Candace will help lead the nominating committee.
- Survey: We were working on this earlier this year prior to COVID. Survey that had been circulated earlier this year will need to be revised and reviewed in light of current circumstances. Once revised, survey will be circulated the Board.
- Fundraising (Amy L.):
- Wreaths Across America: Raised about $500 for team. Easy to set up, would do it again next year. We could have promoted more, but felt timing for promotion was poor because it coincided with the shutdown. Billing ended being done directly – billing through Team Unify as previously discussed didn’t ultimately make sense financially.
- Coaches Report (Ellen J.): Live Barn on hold. Had productive meetings with LB, but with shutdown had to put conversations on hold.
- USA Swimming Escrow Account Manager Report (Adrienne W.):
- Not much to report. No one owes money. Currently 217 swimmers; several swimmers have temporarily left to train out of state.
- Treasurers Report (Martha C.):
- Not much activity. Some collections for masks, officials and caps. Team is in good shape.
- Charles S: Asked whether we should restart conversations with Merrill Lynch re: investments.
- PET–WRAT Report (Candace T.): 72 families have not worked. Making progress despite not having many meets.
- Meet Manager Report (Aimee W.): Nothing to report.
- Officials Report (Mark M.): Not much to report. Because its end of year, re-certification required. Have reminded officials to re-certify.
- Parents Reps & Student Athlete Reports:
- Seniors (Rachel K): Still working on senior event; event will be remote. Discussion re: some sort of “Secret Snowflake” (perhaps even across age groups).
- AG (Melanie R.): Nothing to report other than some frustration re: ability to secure lane space. Showky K.: Suggested ways to use social media platform to inspire kids to share their home workouts, etc. to inspire each other.
- 8U (Alison A.): There have been questions re. pool time for 8U. Difficult for this age group to self-direct.
Mark M. moved to adjourn the meeting and Candace T. seconded. All voted in favor.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:02 pm.
Monika DeFelice, Secretary
Water Rats Parents’ Club