WATER RATS PARENTS’ CLUB, INC.
Minutes for the Meeting of February 6, 2019
Charles Shapiro (Co-President)
Candace Twiss (PET-WRAT Coordinator)
Lori Blessey (Meet Coordinator)
Kristin Adams (Sr Parent Rep)
Adrienne Williams (USA Swimming Coordinator)
Ngassam Ngounem (Ex Officio)
Amy Leahy (Safety/ Concessions Coordinator)
Jackie Austin (Officials Co-Coordinator)
Tina Lynch (AG Parent Rep)
Christine Schatz (8&U Parent Rep)
Also in attendance: Mary Lake, Greg Ripka
A quorum was achieved, and the meeting was called to order at 7:02 p.m. by Charles S..
Kristen Adams. motioned to approve the minutes of January 9, 2020. Tina Lynch seconded. All voted in favor.
RESOLVED that the minutes from the January 9, 2019 meeting, as presented to the Committee are approved.
- Co-Presidents’ Report (Charles. S.):
- Continuing air quality issue. Air quality is ultimately a YMCA problem. Questions and concerns should be referred to the Y.
- Survey: One more distribution before next meeting. Expected vote next meeting
- Pink Plunge checks to go out soon
- Ford in Bridgeport is interested in test drive.
- Consider offering concessions at Simply Delicious space during non-meet weekends. Ellen to talk to Y to see what they would be willing to accept. Alternative suggested by Adrienne is perhaps something similar to a bake sales.
- Ellen to purchase bulletin board
- Investment Committee (Greg R.) Presentation to Board by Mark Nastri (Merrill Lynch Fairfield) re: recommendations for approximately $65,000 investment.
- Everything remains liquid.
- Moderately conservative investment.
- Mr. Nastri answered questions raised by meeting attendees.
- Investment Committee has also met with Mr. Nastri separately.
- Nominating Committee: To be formed. To consist of 5 designee – proposed designees are Candace Twiss (board member) and Berkley Murray (parent). Still need 3 more designees, including coach.
- Banquet (Mary L.)
- Save the date is out for April 23rd.
- Contract with club is done, payment is in. Anticipate no change in price for attendees.
- Will work with Adrienne W. to get Team Unify signups started.
- Ellen to confirm emcee – Mike Arman.
- Budget for favors is to be confirmed by Martha C. – mockup for hats was shown.
- Beginning to solicit donations for raffle.
- Safe Sport (Amy L.):
- Safe Sport training by 18yos to be confirmed. Certificates of compliance need to be saved.
- Before Senior Championships, waivers to be signed. Waiver needs to be run by CT Swimming. Confirm that waiver comports with best practices.
- Coach’s report (Charles S. on behalf of Ellen J.)
- Air quality is a YMCA issue – let coaches know re. concerns.
- Upcoming team hosted meets:
- Senior Invitational May 8-10 at Wesleyan.
- 10U Meet, Thursday June 4.
- USA Swimming Escrow Account Manager Report (Adrienne W.):
- All current meet fees are billed.
- 183 families; 221 swimmers. 3 families overdrawn ($155)
- All fees for this weekend are paid. May bill out Regionals/ Senior Championships right away.
- Treasurers Report (Charles S. on behalf of Marta C.)
- About same net income as last year.
- Home meet performance; about $3500 ahead of last year. Better attendance and savings on parking.
- Y States profitability expected to be higher than last year.
- Will continue to monitor.
- Fundraising for Y Nats discussed.
- PET–WRAT Report (Candace T.):
- 13 families haven’t worked. 3 of those families are 8U.
- If families concerned re earning points, they should reach out. Extenuating circumstances will be considered.
- Meet Manager Report (Lori B.) :
- Nothing to report.
- Officials Report (Jackie A.)
- Mark Arman is back.
- 3 officials in training.
- June 4: 10U meet
- Parents Reps:
- Christine S: Still working 8U social. Contemplating combined pool party/ give back charity event for Gillespie Center. Talk to coaches to coordinate use of facility.
- Tina L: 12U
- Miracle movie on 2/23.
- Pasta Dinner 2/25 6:30-8:30.
- Kristen A: Senior social – to be determined.
Jackie A. moved to adjourn the meeting and Lori B. seconded. All voted in favor.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:21 pm.
Monika DeFelice, Secretary
Water Rats Parents’ Club