Minutes for the Meeting of May 5, 2022
Berkeley Murray (Co-President)
Charles Shapiro (Co-President)
Kim Massa (Co-Treasurer)
Adrienne Williams (USA Swimming Escrow Account Manager)
Aimee White-Charles (Meet Manager)
Candace Twiss (PET-WRAT)
Jackie Austin (Co-Official)
Melanie Ruggieri (8U Parent Rep)
Sarah Hart (AG Parent Rep)
Shantha Ozgen (Senior Parent Rep)
Ellen Johnson (Coach)
A quorum was achieved, and the meeting was called to order at 7:18 p.m. by Berkley M.
A motioned to approve the minutes of the March 10, 2022 meeting. Motion was seconded. All members voted in favor.
RESOLVED that the minutes of the March 10, 2022 meeting, as presented to the Committee, are approved.
• Coaches Report (Ellen J.):
• Back in for Long Course
• Thank you to coaching staff who was able to step in when Ellen became ill at Y Nats.
• Have been accepted into both Greenwich meets. Waiting to see if we were accepted
into Cheshire meet.
• 10U WRAT hosted meet is beyond full.
• Planning is underway for banquet.
• Coaches would like to attend the World Clinic. Hoping to get 6 coaches to attend.
Week after Labor Day. Still working on cost but best guess $12k-14k. Treasurers to
look at budget for what amount allocated and how to make up any shortfall. Last attended by coaches in 2018. Consider also fundraising.
• Still looking to resurface blocks. Working with Y property manager. More extensive
and more expensive than originally anticipated.
• PET-WRAT (Candace T.):
• Nominating slate has been formulated by Committee for 2022-2023 Season:
• Co-President: Dan Slippen (2 year term)
• Co-President: Charles Shapiro (1 yr remaining on 2 year term)
• Ex Officio: Berkley Murray
• Co- Treasurer: Raj Sabedi (2 year term)
• Co- Treasurer: Dave Lake (2 year term)
• Secretary: Samantha Kelley
• Meet Coordinator: Allison Arnett
• USA Swimming: Adrienne Williams
• PET-WRAT: Candace Twiss (Final term)
• Officials Co-Coordinators: Jackie Austin. Co-Official TBA.
• 8U Parent Rep: Sara Hart
• AG Parent Rep: Aimee Drummey; Amanda Mihelic
• Senior Parent: Aimee White- Charles; Monika DeFelice
• Athlete Reps: TBA by Ellen.
• Annual Meeting June 9: Slate to be sent out in advance with annual meeting notice.
• Jackie made a motion to approve nominated slate. Motion was seconded. Motion passed.
• Banquet (Mary L.):
• May 22, 2022 @ Trumbull Marriott
• Approx 120 RSVPs so far. Have until May 17 for final numbers. Assume we will get to
• Chose venue based on cost, menu, date etc. Can accommodate 350 if necessary.
• Favors are baseball caps for the swimmers.
• Invitation will be extended to CEO and COO of the Y. Ellen will invite.
• MC? Past MCs no longer on team. Consider other people.
• Parent reps to promote within their groups.
• Discussion re. whether White team would be invited.
• Co-President Report (Berkley M.):
• Annual Meeting: June 9 by Zoom. Adrienne W. to send out notice.
• Need to regroup on the survey. Consider timing to distribute survey, when it would be
most useful, etc.
• USA Swimming Escrow Account Manager Report (Adrienne W.):
• 175 Families/ 230 Swimmers. Approx. $5k in escrow account.
• Team is in good shape.
• All meets billed except parents share for Y Nats. No amounts outstanding.
• Consistent with swimmers continuing into long course, the younger swimmers are a
bit lighter on attendance.
• Treasurers Report (Kim M.):
• Financials circulated to the Board in advance of the meeting.
• On a net basis, ahead of budget. Y Nats still being billed.
• After Y Nats billed, start working on budget. Especially if we will be hosting as many
meets next year.
Sara H. made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Motion was seconded. Meeting was adjourned at
Monika DeFelice, Secretary
Water Rats Parents’ Club