WATER RATS PARENTS’ CLUB, INC.
Minutes for the Meeting of December 9, 2021
Charles Shapiro (Co-President)
Berkeley Murray (Co-President)
Kim Massa (Co-Treasurer)
Dan Slippen (Co-Treasurer)
Adrienne Williams (USA Swimming Manager)
Jackie Austin (Co-Official)
Melanie Ruggieri (8U Parent Rep)
Allison Arnett (AG Parent Rep)
Rachel Kushel (Senior Parent Rep)
Hugh Hutchinson (Athlete Rep)
Ellen Johnson (Coach)
A quorum was achieved, and the meeting was called to order at 7:04 p.m. by Charles S.
Monika D. motioned to approve the minutes of the November, 2021 meeting. Allison A. seconded the motion. All members voted in favor.
RESOLVED that the minutes of the November 4, 2021 meeting as presented to the Committee, are approved.
- Coaches Report (Ellen J.):
- Extremely successful AG Qualifier Meet in November. Expect that it surpassed budgeted amounts for Freestyle Frenzy. Very smooth operation.
- Waiting to hear re: Championships.
- Seniors: February 10-13
- Age Groups: March 10-13 (Tent.)
- Regionals: TBD
- No qualifying standards to date
- 8U Meet 12/17: Slightly larger than previous years.
- Meets this weekend: Still working around COVID regulations.
- SOCO: No Spectators. Meet will be streamed over Zoom. No parents in lobby or congregating in building.
- Blue/Red Meet: Details within next few days
- Y alumni panel: Y asked Ellen to run. Still putting together. Ranges from alumni out for decades to kids still in college. Purpose is to discuss the impact the WRAT program had on them.
- 11-12 Movie Night: Upcoming. Last weekend’s 8U movie night was very successful.
- Holiday Schedule: Should be coming out in next week or so.
- Dryland for Younger Swimmers: Challenge finding instructors. Hoping to start up in January. Yoga to be added for Challenger and Sr III.
- Co-President Report (Charles S.):
- Nominating Committee: Please advise if you want to stay on board, leave the board or stay on the board in a different role. Want to ensure that we bring in new families so that as families age out there are families with experience to take over.
- Check for Pink Plunge: Ellen to advise when/ how she would like to deliver the check.
- Spring Banquet:
- Indoor Facility: Rolling Hills was more expensive, but could accommodate party our size. Patterson club, capped at 200. Waiting to hear back from Aspetuck.
- Alternatively: Outdoor event, like last year.
- Survey will go out after 1st year to see whether membership prefers indoor or outdoor event.
- Capital Needs: Circle back next meeting.
- USA Swimming Escrow Account Manager Report (Adrienne W.):
- All meets billed to date.
- 171 Families/ 222 Swimmers. Approx. $9600 in Escrow.
- May need to start charging meet fees as we go after 1st of year.
- Approx $1,000 owed.
- Treasurers Report (Kim M.):
- Nothing to report – still processing events from past month.
- Parent Rep & Student Athlete Report:
- 8U Parent Rep (Melanie R.):
- Big Rat Little Rat: Pretty good sign ups.
- Drive in Movie Night from last week very successful, event was a bit too long and will shorten for next time
- Age Group Rep (Allison Arnett):
- 11-12 Movie Night this week. Will ask for parent volunteers (no points).
- Senior Parent (Rachel K.): Nothing to Report
- Student Athlete Reps (Hugh H.): List of ideas for big rat responsibilities to be sent to Ellen.
- 8U Parent Rep (Melanie R.):
Jackie A. made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Rachel K. seconded the motion. All voted in favor.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:32 pm.
Monika DeFelice, Secretary
Water Rats Parents’ Club