March 2010

Minutes from Board Meeting on March 3, 2010


Martha Corneck, Mary Cooperman, Andy McNab, Sheila Stolarski, Lisa Krakoff, Adrienne Williams, Ellen Johnston, Jacquie Tumminia, Sandy Morrison, Ronald Wimer, Chuck Katter, Sydney Hunter, Jeanne Bowles.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes from the February 4 meeting were approved.

Treasurer’s Report

Martha reported that the final numbers have come in on the Pentathlon and we did better than last year and better than budgeted. She anticipates the same with the Q meet and should have the final numbers on that next month. Other activity:

  • Martha got detailed concessions information from Helen Poliner and she will review but not add it to the budget.
  • The CT Secretary of State Document Review was mailed along with the required fee.
  • Goodie bag activity has been reconciled and she’s doing the same with the Pancake Breakfast. She will report on this next month.
  • Ellen will give Martha the list of kids who got caps so that she can reconcile this budget line as well. (It is currently a negative variance.)

Overall Martha predicts that we could end up about $3,000-4,000 above budget. The only other big upcoming expense is WRAT Recognition Night.

Coaches’ Report

Ellen reviewed the upcoming Championship meets. As of this meeting, five swimmers have qualified for YNats although she expects more to qualify in the next few weeks.

The last practice will be 3/20 and LC will begin on 4/26. Mark will run a clinic as will Ellen. The new schedule will be ready within the week and posted on the website. The youngest swimmers will have an earlier practice time.

LC meet bids are in. The Senior Spring Invitational is all set but there is quite a bit of competition for the weekend we’d like to host the AG Invitational. Ideally we’d like to hold this meet on 6/5-6/6.

We were awarded the Bronze Level for the Club Excellence Program. This was based largely on IMX scores and our swimmers need to raise their scores by swimming more varied events. Mark and Ellen will work on this in upcoming months.

The Board discussed the swim program that will be offered between Short Course and Long Course and the length of the break for the various groups. Several people thought that five weeks was too long and questioned the cost of the program. Jacquie will firm up plans with the coaches and make an announcement in the next two or three weeks.

USA Swimming

Chris could not attend the meeting but reported via email that she’s several meets behind and needs entries from the coaches. She had no activity to report for February because of this delay.


Kathy was also unable to attend the meeting but she reported via email that a total of 23 families have not earned any volunteer points. Forty-five other families have not reached their quota. Kathy has drafted a letter to parents who have not worked at all and will mail it within the next week.

Co-Presidents’ Report

Adrienne has agreed to Chair our nominating committee again and the Board confirmed her nomination and will vote via email on the other members of the committee once they have been selected. Thank you, Adrienne! Kelsey will be the coaches representative.

8/U and AG Party: Sheila has arranged a party at the SONO Fieldhouse on Friday, March 26th at 6:00 pm. The kids will use the field for dodge ball and other “land” games. The PC will provide refreshments. The Board agreed to charge $20/child.

Lisa and Sandy are hoping to have a Sr. Team bowling party the same weekend and are investigating venues and costs.

WRAT Recognition Night: BMS has been confirmed for April 30th. Like last year, Stews will cater and the PC will subsidize swimmer attendance ($5 per swimmer and $20 per adult.) Jeanne is looking into the swimmer gifts and the board discussed having a special gift for graduating seniors—perhaps a paperweight or frame.

Championship Meet Work Assignments: The Water Rats have been asked to do hospitality. Ron has created a spreadsheet with work slots and everyone will have to pitch in! Sandy Morrison kindly offered to do much of the shopping—thank you, Sandy!

The next meeting will be Wednesday, March 31, 2010. We are moving it up a day due to the Easter Weekend.

Respectfully Submitted,
Mary Cooperman


On March 8, the PC voted via email to appoint the following to work with Adrienne on the Nominating Committee:

  • PC Rep: Kathy Bell Santarella
  • Coach Rep: Kelsey Slater
  • Member: Nicky Wisher
  • Member: Elizabeth Galle
  • Member: Karin Keith