WATER RATS PARENTS’ CLUB, INC.
Minutes for the Meeting of March 10, 2022
Berkeley Murray (Co-President)
Charles Shapiro (Co-President)
Dan Slippen (Co-Treasurer)
Kim Massa (Co-Treasurer)
Mark McDermott (Co-Official)
Jackie Austin (Co-Official)
Aimee White-Charles (Meet Manager)
Adrienne Williams (USA Swimming Manager)
Candace Twiss (PET-WRAT)
Melanie Ruggieri (8U Parent Rep)
Alison Arnett (AG Parent Rep)
Jessica Qi (Athlete Rep)
Hugh Hutchinson (Athlete Rep)
Ellen Johnson (Coach)
A quorum was achieved, and the meeting was called to order at 7:19 p.m. by Berkley M.
Mark M. motioned to approve the minutes of the February 10, 2022 meeting. Motion was seconded. All members voted in favor.
RESOLVED that the minutes of the February 10, 2022 meeting, as presented to the Committee, are approved.
- Coaches Report (Ellen J.):
- Busy Month.
- Senior Champs, was a phenomenal meet. A lot of positive feedback.
- Regionals was a challenge. Pipe burst @ Masuk. Moved meet to Shelton.
- Senior Invite last weekend.
- 10U Championships. First meet with spectators since 8U meet last fall. Will still live stream. Going back to wristbands for crowd control in spectator area. Each team will manage their own wristband management. Concerns re. split shifts for timing discussed.
- 11-14 Age Groups next week. Also trying to allow spectators.
- Y Nats week after 11-14 Age Groups.
- Beginning to consider which venues can host LC meets, since certain venues (ie Wesleyan, Yale, SoCo, UConn, etc.) still unavailable
- Bids are out for June 10U meet. Ask officials to check calendar for availability.
- The additional parking area after camp renovation has helped with home hosted meets.
- Boys HS championships have begun.
- Modified schedule for next few week will be released soon.
- Busy Month.
- Co-President Report (Berkley M.):
- Job Descriptions: Been a while since board descriptions have been put in writing. Will be reaching out to the board members for updated descriptions. Hoping for a document that can be passed along to new board members, to explain their position and the other board position. Board descriptions are in By-Laws, so would want to address any revisions at annual meeting.
- Super Bowl Report: Filled all boxes. Raised $1000 for the parent club.
- Banquet: May 22 @ Marriott Trumbull. Will not need to raise any prices.
- Annual Meeting: New slate needs to be presented at least 30 days before the annual meeting. 20 days for objections. Historically meeting held in June. Ellen to look at calendar.
- Nominating Committee (Candace T): Slate is almost complete. Will present when completed.
- Pink Plunge: Amount has been calculated. Check to be cut soon.
- Big Rat/ Little Rat: Unlikely to happen this year, timing has been difficult. Will draft message to team. Will launch a well thought out program in short course.
- By-Laws Requirements for Board re: Survey or Planning & Evaluation Meeting. Charles S. will put together survey building on what Y has previously put together. Request for input from Board members re: what are the questions that they would want to be asked/ answered/ what are we willing to change. Ellen J. would like to use this as an opportunity to come up with vision and a plan (as opposed to the past years, which have been more reactive). Consider also surveying the swimmers. Significant discussion re ideas for content and scope of survey. Will revisit next month.
- USA Swimming Escrow Account Manager Report (Adrienne W.):
- 174 Families/ 227 Swimmers.
- Maintaining a good size. Not much room to take on new swimmers.
- All meets billed to date.
- Meet fees owed, but at a normal amount for this time of year.
- Treasurers Report (Kim M.):
- January financials circulated to the Board in advance of the meeting.
- Meet fees have increased.
- Ahead on budget.
- Expenses under budget.
- Pink Plunge: $6,000 raised.
- PET-WRAT (Candace T.):
- Slate for next years Board to be presented at next meeting.
Jackie A. motioned to adjourn the meeting. Motion was seconded. Meeting was adjourned at 8:16pm.
Monika DeFelice, Secretary
Water Rats Parents’ Club