Minutes for the Ordinary Meeting of May 5th, 2016
Sylvia Ortega (Co-Pres), John Meehan (Co-Treasurer), Craig Adler (Senior Rep), Lorraine Kennedy (Co Officials Coordinator), Tracy Keblish (Co Officials Coordinator), Candace Twiss (Pet WRAT Coordinator), Andy McNab (Ex Officio), Sari Berkowitz (AG Rep), Eileen Brown (AG Rep), Adrienne Johnston (Meet Manager), and Ellen Johnston (Head Coach)
Approval of Minutes
A motion was made to approve the minutes dated April 8th 2016 by Lorraine Kennedy and seconded by Craig Adler.
RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting dated April 8th, 2016 as presented to the Committee were approved.
Adrienne Johnston, as head of the Nominating Committee, presented the slate of new members for the Parents Club for the period of 2016-2017. It is as follows:
Co-President Sylvia Ortega
Co-Treasurer John Belpedio
Ex Officio Lorraine Kennedy
Meet Coordinator Huong Belpedio
USA Swimming Coord. Adrienne Williams
Senior Parent Rep Eileen Brown
Senior Parent Rep Tricia Begg
AG Team Parent Rep Chrissy Gussen
AG Team Parent Rep Berkeley Murray
8/U Team Parent Rep Lori Blessey
8/U Team Parent Rep
Officials Co-Chair John Wang
Committee Chairs were also reviewed. Craig Adler volunteered for the Pancake Breakfast. A proposal was set forth to eliminate the Apparel Chair. A suggestion was made to increase he points earned by the Safety Coordinator.
Adrienne Johnston made a motion to approve the Slate to be voted at the Annual Meeting. Craig Adler seconded it.
Head Coach Ellen Johnston presented her monthly report, which included the following topics:
- Recognition Night: overall feedback was positive. There are things that need to be tweaked. Martha Corneck is preparing a write up to summarize suggestions for next year.
- Long Course Meets: There were some issues trying to sign up for LC meets. Ct swimming had problems posting all meets, and some teams were able to sign up for them using Ty-Vek Team Manager. As a consequence the WRATS were left out of some meets, like the Cheshire one. The Coaches have found other Meets to attend.
- Summer Practice Schedule: It is being finalized. It has been challenging due to the closing of the pool at Staples High School. Senior II will be using the Mahackeno pool at 5:00 pm.
- Town Meet: July 26th is the date for an all Town Meet, which will be hosted at the Y. It is being organized jointly between the coaches and the Y. Club and team swimmers between 6-12 years old from Westport and Weston will be invited. (Up to 100 swimmers). Inscription will be $20.00
- Prep for 2016-2017: There are 19 new swimmers that signed up for the Long Course Season. Plans continue to add two practice groups: Senior III and JAG III. The challenge is to coordinate pool space. Senior III would be for 13 and older swimmers, with lower intensity geared to some of the swimmers transitioning from Age Group, and High School swimmers. We can expect 15% attrition, which is the normal range.
- CT Swimming: Ellen is a candidate to be General Chair of CT Swimming
- Miscellaneous: Ellen suggested we create a Sponsorship Committee to evaluate and implement options for sponsoring the team, both by large sponsors, but local businesses as well.
Meet Manager’s Report
Preparations for SSI are well underway. There are meet managers for every session (Andy Mc Nab, Candance Twiss, and Craig Adler). We still need a volunteer for Friday afternoon, mainly to help setting up.
Lorraine Kennedy reports that we are all set with officials for the meet. Some parents are currently training. We have two new officials, Wang and Lovro, parents of returning swimmers.
Pet WRAT Report
Candace reports that there are 82 families with balance, but actually only 62 families need to complete their points. They have been notified.
USA Swimming Manager’s Report
Adrienne Williams sent her report, showing that there are no escrow account issues and all Meets have been billed.
John Meehan presented the Clubs’ financials. There seems to be a loss of $1100, some of it due to the extra water bottles in storage. Also, the higher costs associated with Recognition Night. Tracy Keblish inquired about Swim outlet and highlighted the need to remind people to use it. Lorraine Kennedy suggested that we purchase radio equipment to facilitate officials’ tasks during home meets. She was tasked to obtain all the information about the equipment.
Sylvia Ortega discussed the Team assessment survey results to date. We have only 43 responses to date. A push is required to have more meaningful results.
Sylvia Ortega moved to adjourn meeting, and Lorraine Keneddy seconded, all voted in favor. The next meeting is slated June 9th, 2016.